Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Awwww... a sweater!!


I feel like it would be appropriate to explain very early on in this project how I feel about animals.  I realize that the name of this project "Flat Squirrel Creations" does offer some, well, less savory connotations about roadkill.  And the idea of cute, cuddly, fluffy animals disfigured into genuine-leather frisbees is certainly distressing, though slightly humorous in the inherent misfortune of their life choices.


life choices

Clearly stated: I love animals.  I hate the idea of an animal being killed or injured.  I can empathize with the unfortunate, indecisive squirrel as I continue to be mowed over by life on a semi-regular basis.  

Seeing an animal on the side of the road always makes me sad.  When I was young, I recall a story about a mom who would say "Awwww, a sweater!" and shake her head sadly whenever they passed roadkill.  The child wondered at their mother's sadness over lost apparel, and it wasn't until the child was a bit older that they realized the true identity of the fuzzy blob on the side of the road.  I always thought this was a wonderful way to handle a sad thing--to protect your children as long as possible from the harsh reality of modern travel.




I kept this in mind when I had my son, and figured I'd put it to good use.  I saw an animal on the side of the road, and as we drove by, I clicked my tongue and said "Awwww, a sweater."  My son, who also occupies his own unique dimension in space, snapped to attention and craned his neck, "Where?!  I didn't see it!"  Then he got mad because I wouldn't turn the car around to go back to show him the "sweater."
*Not my actual kid/but pretty accurate visual
So, in trying to preemptively rescue my son from undue emotional trauma, I ended up causing him distress by pointing out something he was completely unaware of.  Awesome.  I have now learned to just ignore roadkill, and more than likely my little martian will not return from his intergalactic daydreaming to even notice.
*Not my actual trophy/must have gotten lost in the mail
But speaking of shiny things, some more of my creations:


Handmade paper beads! Swarovski crystals! Shiny!!

Soft faux-leather (not squirrel) coral choker with handmade paper beads! Gold chain accents! And aqua roses!

Handmade paper beads! Beautiful silver-tone charms! A bee! A butterfly! A watering can!  Shiny crystals! Faceted glass beads!  Yay!!
So as I learn to let sleeping/space-travelling toddlers lie, I continue to craft and ponder the mysteries of life on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment